1950 to 1960
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
The backup group with R&B legend Hank Ballard, this Detroit band was initially called the Royals when they formed in 1952. Henry Booth, Charles Sutton, Lawson Smith, and Sonny Woods were the original lineup. Ballard replaced Smith in 1953 and became the lead singer. They became the Midnighters in 1954. The group disbanded temporarily in 1965, then reformed with Frank Stadford, Walter Miller, and Wesley Hargrove. This unit worked in the James Brown Revue for several years.